An impressive pair of fire-gilt and patinated nine-armed bronze candelabra. The base and the trunk are triangular with angled corners based on the obelisk shape of classical antiquity.
The sides are decorated with gilt bronze appliques with rosettes and geometric shapes. The foot and trunk are separated by fire-gilded claw feet. There are three ram heads at the top of the trunk. Above are two fire-gilt knots of palmettes on which the six arms with hanging rosettes lie. On top, a ball and three smaller arms with masks of bearded men in the middle flutes crowned by a large flame.
These very large Restauration candelabra were made in France in the period before the second empire when the Bourbon dynasty was in power.
The maker is unknown and these copies are unmarked. However, their dimensions make them very impressive.
Marie-France Dupuy-Baylet, L'Heure, Le Feu, La Lumière, Les Bronzes du Mobilier National 1800-1870, 2010, pp. 254-255