This nine armed chandelier dates from around 1760. The gilt bronze frame is decorated with pure rock crystal pendants, varying in shape and thickness, throughout. A so called pyramid is placed in the centre of the chandelier. Under the base plate the chandelier is decorated with a large and very clear pear shaped shaped crystal finial or ‘bas de lustre’. The neck towards the crown is covered by multiple faceted stem shaped pieces or ‘enfilade’, and the cage frame is decorated with three little tree-shaped structures, attached as pendants. To maintain the candle function, the chandelier has been equipped with subtle electric inside lightning.
Typical 18th century style characteristics can be found in the construction, such as the dots on the arms wich correspond with the receiver plates, and the à coquille casted and welded candle holders.
Only the best quality of rock crystal was used fort his chandelier. The crystal was found in the Alpes and cut in Milan, wich had been the centre fort he production of luxury rock crystal since centuries. As rock crystal was a delicate and precious material, these chandeliers where seen as status symbols, and were found in royal European courts. Resembling examples can be found in Versailles, Potsdam and London.